Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese

With so many busy parents on the web and IBOtoolbox, I just wanted to share an easy recipe that may help some of you out in the kitchen.  I got this recipe from a cookbook that I have had for a long time.  I was looking through it last night trying to find easy recipes to accommodate my busy schedule. This particular recipe itself belongs to Cheryl Bartel of Hillsboro, KS. I have not tried it myself yet, but I have heard that slow cooker macaroni and cheese is delicious.

Ingredients:

8 oz dry elbow macaroni, cooked
3-4 cups (about 3/4lb) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
13 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
chopped onion to taste

1. Combine all of the ingredients, except for 1 cup of the cheese, in a greased slow cooker.  Sprinkle the reserved cup of cheese over the top.

2. Cover and cook the  mixture on low for 3 -4 hours. Do not remove the lid or stir until the mixture has finished cooking.

Variation:
For some extra zest, you can add 1/2 tsp of dry mustard when combining all the ingredients.  You can also add thin slices of cheese to the top of the cooker mixer.  These variations are courtesy of Dorothy M. Pittman of Pickens, SC.

I will definitely be trying this recipe out the next time that I decided to make macaroni and cheese.  I hope that this is very helpful to you and that your family enjoys it as much as I know that mine will.

No comments:

Post a Comment